Solved: Cover artist for No Bed Of Her Own by Val Lewton is James Earnst
Pretty psyched that I've figured out who did the cover for Novel Library No. 39 "No Bed Of Her Own" by Val Lewton (Published in 1949). I've been wondering about this one forever since it's a famous "one hit wonder" vintage paperback by a highly noted film maker.
My original copy had a hint of an initial in the lower right corner so I always wondered if there were offset copies that would reveal the signature. However it doesn't come up for sale often.
Next, I went around to some of my usual sources around the web and found that, on David Saunders pulp artists page, https://www.pulpartists.com/Ernst.html there's an artist named James A. Earnst, who mostly did Blue Book interiors, who used the three initials (as shown in Saunders third signature example. )
The artist himself is a ringer for the dude on the cover.
If you look at the September 1949 Blue Book interior Saunders has posted, the line drawn newsstand man is the same guy and Earnst is using the initials at this time.
The paperback is from 1949 so this was probably an opportunity for Earnst to get a cover that he'd never get in the pulps. I'll be looking around at some other Avons and Novel Library's from this time frame for any other possible Earnst covers.
One thing I've learned in investigating paperback cover artists is that they rarely did a one-off. Even if they only did a few, it was at least two for a publisher at a time. If any reader's have seen any pbs with this guy on the cover please let me know. It's obvious he used himself as a model like so many other commercial artists at the time.
In case you noticed... I'm back - had to take a hiatus from blogging due to too many other things to do but I think I've figured out a system to be able to get my thoughts and materials together more regularly so will try to get a post up every Sunday with either artist information, a book review or other thoughts on vintage paperbacking.
If you like this kind of material and want to see more, please click the "Follow" button on the left side of the page!



Comments
Post a Comment